Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Appraisal of antique console table

Table - Compact
Table - Compact  

Table - Open w/leaf
Table - Open w/leaf  
Hello Robert!

By luck and good will, I acquired an antique console table from a landlord in Berkeley back in the early 1990's. This very elderly woman and her late husband had purchased and restored an old apartment building in their earlier years. Shortly after I moved in, she took a glance at my spartan decor and led me downstairs to a huge basement where she had at least a couple dozen old tables, dressers, and chairs in storage. She said the furniture had furnished the units in the past but that renters today had their own furniture. Anyway, she offered to loan me anything I needed, and I reluctantly brought up the table and a couple of chairs -- mostly to be polite. Well, after about a year and a half it was time for me to move, and while I was moving out she insisted that I keep the table for my next apartment. Sweet, sweet lady. I accepted the gift and have had the table ever since.

Fast forward 20 years... in middle age I now appreciate the table. Actually, I treasure it and would like to know more about it, especially for my children who might inherit it.

Can you provide me with any information about its style and approximate value? I believe it might be English or Spanish colonial revival from the 1920's? The legible stamping on the inside sliding braces that support the butterfly leaf read "SANDSTROM FURN. MFG CO" and "MFG BY SANDSTROM" and "OAKLAND CALIF"

With much appreciation,

some things do not fit neatly into sub catagories, ie; spanish, english revival.  all things are a blend of what came before.

Nice that you have such a personal attachment to this table and that it recalls the generosity of a kind person.  

this table is unusual in that it is both a sofa table and convertible into a desk or eating table.

styling would be called colonial revival.  the fooring is a shoe foot with a turned standard or column.  

Sandstrom Furniture Co 1500 E 12th St Oakland
there is evidence they were in operation in 1924 but i think it was a short lived operation as there is little info available.  in my master list of companies in the USA operating in the 1920s they are not listed but the California directory of business in 1924 does have them listed.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971