Collectibles-General (Antiques)/appraisal of sofa circa 1920s/30s

QUESTION: This is an unusual sofa my husband inherted from his great aunt.  Its dimensions are 40" high, 56" in lenth and the seat is 22" in depth.  It was recovered in the 1960s with red velvet.   There is a hand carved embellishment between the two back cushions.  It is made of mahogany. My husband feels it is circa 1920s or 30s.

ANSWER: please use the followup function and post a clear and infocus full view picture of the loveseat.

antique couch
antique couch  

antique couch
antique couch  
QUESTION: Better picture of couch

It is possible this is mahogany but usually they are birch stained to a mahogany color.  Manufactured around 1890-1920. This is one of athe better ones.  The carving is really well done and a nice scene.  Carving was done by machine then dressed, or chased, by hand as has fore decades.

An insurance replacement value would be around 15-1800.  The retail price in a shop would be around 750

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971