Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bedroom Furniture

Bedroom Furniture
Bedroom Furniture  

I acquired a bedroom set that I believe is from the 1920s or 1930s.  They belonged to my husband's grandparents and the set was used in their bedroom.  I have been able to identify the bed as a Jenny Lind style bed, but I haven't been able to find information on the rest of the furniture that would have been purchased around the same time as the bed.

Kimberly - I do not believe the two pieces are from the same set. The low dresser with mirror appears to be from the 1950s. The mirror will have the date of manufacture. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

The bed appears to be much earlier than that. It is in fact a Jenny Lind style bed. Jenny Lind was a Swedish opera singer who toured the United States at the behest of P. T. Barnum in 1850. During the tour she expressed a preference for a particular style of spool bed such as yours that had a solid headboard.

From what little I can see of the hardware that connects the side rail to the headboard, it looks like the hardware is surface mounted cast iron. If that is the case the bed is from the late 19th century. If you can send me some closer photos of the hardware I will be able to confirm that. You can send clear photos to me as .jpg files at Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not respond.

Both pieces are made of maple and are factory made. Each piece would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida