Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Chair

Question
Front View
Front View  

Back View
Back View  
Dear Bob,

Hope you had a great  vacation.

I found 3 of these chairs on Monday. Did some research in a book I have and online. Found references like Victorian Gothic Side Chair, Victorian Revival Gothic Chair. American Rococo Revival Mahogany Dining Chairs, Classical Empire Flame Mahogany Gothic Dining Chairs, etc.

Most were made of mahogany. Oh and these chairs have 3 pretty worn and stained cushions that are in dire need of re-upholstering; not included in pics.

Would you please take a look at the photos and let me know your opinion....type of wood, year made and value?

Thanks much for your help.

Carole

Answer
The only wood grain i can see is in the crest or top rail.  that is flame mahogany veneer.  The rest could be mahogany, birch or a couple of other species.

if you use the followup function and add pictures of the other wood grain, close and clear i will identify that for you.

made around 1850. the style is a mix or transition from empire to victorian.  all the gothic and rococo and revival are different sub styles and really have little importance here.  these are empire victorian transitional chairs.

revival means they are trying to say they are not of the 1850s but of 1880 or 1920s.  I do not think they are but a picture of underneath the seat rails again clear and close so i can see how the wood was cut and what tool marks might be there will tell me.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein