Collectibles-General (Antiques)/dining room set and hutch?

Question
dining room set
dining room set  

hutch
hutch  
I bought this set a long time ago from my brother and his wife. I believe they said it was of the federal style. Nothing has been done to it, it's the original condition. I did reupholster the chairs, but underneath remains the original material. Please let me know of the style's name and value. Thank you.

Answer
Grace - What you are calling a hutch is actually a sideboard. A hutch is an open shelf vertical storage unit for china. A china cabinet is a vertical storage unit with doors enclosing the shelves.

The set could be called "Federal" only in the vaugest sense. It is not clearly Federal style. The legs certainly are not traditional Federal legs and the drawer pulls are not Federal either. The style is a mixture of several components that can only be called "Depression era" style.

The set has some serious condition issues, especially with the finish.

The sideboard would sell at auction in the $100 range. The table and chairs would sell in the $200-$300 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor