Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Dresser with attached mirror

No title
No title  
Can you provide me any information about this furniture?  Such as who made it, how old, value?  The only markings I found was taylor Made Jamestown N Y on the bottom of a drawer but it looked more like graffiti than a label.  Mirror attaches with a wheel that turns to lick in place, all drawers are dovetail both on the fron and back of drawer.  Thanks for your time.

Patty - Your dresser is made of ribbon striped mahogany veneer and secondary wood solids. It appears to be from the late 1930s but the mirror can confirm the date. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

The notched locking wheel was a very common mirror attaching system in this period.

Taylor Made was the trade name used by the Jamestown Table Co for their bedroom furniture. The Jamestown Table Co. made fine furniture from 1906 until 1980, their top of the line was the Taylor Made line.

Your dresser would sell at auction in the $200 range.  

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida