Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Federal mahogany dining set

Question
Buffet
Buffet  
Hello! We bought a dining set a few years ago from a friend, the dining set was her great grandmothers. We are looking to sell it and we were wondering the worth of the set. We have the china cabinet, buffet, table with 3 leafs, 2 arm chairs, 4 chairs. The china cabinet has some imperfections and the chairs have been reupholstered but all is in very good condition. I particularly love the eagles on the hardware! Any information would be appreciated. Thank you

Answer
Sheena - Great looking set. Give me a day or two to study the photos and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Fred Taylor

Sheena – Your set is a Colonial Revival reproduction of Hepplewhite style furniture of the Federal period of the early 1800s. George Hepplewhite was an English designer whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. He is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name which you so admire.

The set was made in the late 1940s to mid 1950s. It is made of mahogany veneers of different cuts and solid mahogany structural pieces. The fancy veneers on the buffet and china are a combination of crotch cut or stump cut mahogany veneer. Crotch cut veneer is cut from the intersection of a large branch with the trunk or the intersection of two large branches. That creates the "flame" or "feather" pattern seen in the veneer. Stump cut or butt cut veneer is from the stump of a below ground level where the grain pattern is very confused and erratic. The lighter colored string inlay is probably satinwood.

You did a good job cleaning the brass. Just make sure you seal it so it does not tarnish so quickly. Use clear acrylic spray from an art supply shop to seal it.

In an auction setting you probably would expect to receive around $1500 for the set. In a private sale to a retail buyer you should expect a sale in the $2,000+ range.

Thanks for writing and thanks for the excellent photos..

Fred Taylor
info@furnituredetective.com
www.furnituredetective.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor