Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Imperial Table

Question
Imperial Table
Imperial Table  

Imperial Table
Imperial Table  
Hello Mr. Klein,
I have been communicating with Diana Barrett from a website I found about Grand Rapids Imperial Furniture.  I have a table and the mark on the underside was not any that they had shown the website, so I asked her if she would want me to take a photo of mine, so she could possibly add it to her collection.  Well, to make a long story short, she believed my table was an earlier piece, due to the mark being burned into the bottom.  When I asked her if she could possibly give me a value on my table, she referred me to you.  Please let me know if you would like a few more, and I can send you a photo of the actual top of the table. It measures approximately 23 inches tall, tabletop 26 inches long, 14 inches wide.  The top is a hand painted Asian design.  Please let me know if I can answer any more questions, and I thank you for your time and expertise.
Kindest Regards,
Patty Schorr

Answer
The style of the table tells us that it is manufactured in the 1920s.  It was originally painted overall from the factory but someone has stripped the base.  The wood is sweet gum and/or tulip poplar.

condition is everything.  if this were in fine condition and unaltered it would sell around 200-250, possibly more depending on the selling venue.  In the condition shown with the changes and paint deterioration a fair market value would be around 85-100.

In the 1920s many manufacturers offered a painted line with the asian scenes and colors. Several of the Grand Rapids companies did quite well with the line.  As you know Grand Rapids was the furniture capitol for decades.

Ms. Barrett is very knowledgeable and kind.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein