Collectibles-General (Antiques)/John Widdicomb furniture

night stands
night stands  

Hi Mr. Klein,
I sent an email earlier through your expert site, but, it did not show up as 'Sent" on my computer.
I spent two days researching John Widdicomb furniture and luckily found a knowledgable person in Grand Rapids who spoke very highly of you and  recommended your fine expertise.  The two Widdicomb night stands have brass doors and a drawer.  The 6 foot, 9 drawer dresser has brass pull handles.  The Mid-Century furniture ,in my opinion, is in very good condition with minor scratches. Please tell me the wood,possible date of manufacture, what makes a Witticomb piece labeled,"rare", and of course, the monetary value.    Is there a way to identify the designer?  Thank you for helping me learn the history of our pieces.  I appreciate you sharing your wonderful expertise.
Thank you very much,

I order to determine wood species i must see a close up and clear photo of the wood grain.  Color alone is not  sufficient. Use the followup function to do this so the posts will be as one.

it is midcentury.  Unfortunately when determining 1950s and up, or late 1940s and up we cant use the customary clues in determining age (tool marks for one), it is more of a style, finish and hardware determination.  Also the type of label certain companies use helps  as we do have limited pictures showing which labels were used at different times.  Getting down to exact years is rarely possible on more modern since the numbering stytems are different for every company and we do not have access to any records held by the companies without writing letters if they are still in existence.

rare is often used by less informed sellers and some collectors who try to aggrandize themselves.  In actuality the companies would have used 'limited edition' or 'designer edition'.  With furniture a manufacturing company cannot make a profit turning out only a few of any one item or set.  Their 'limited edition' would have been in the low thousands rather than in the tens of thousands.

What it really would mean is there was a limited run, same as plate collectors saying 'rare' to a limited edition plate.

I am looking forward to seeing the close pictures of the grain and would like to see a picture of the backs of one of the stands as well.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971