Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Mersman Step Side Table

Mersman 7375
Mersman 7375  

Mersman 7375
Mersman 7375  
Hi Fred,

I recently acquired this Mersman Step Side Table -- 7375

Any information you can offer is appreciated:  how old it is, value, type of wood and more.

I found some history on the company, but had difficulty finding this table.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Denise - The 7000 series was made by Mersman in the 1950s and 1960s. Tables like yours were originally used in the 18th century as steps to climb into the high beds of the period. Hence the name "step" stables. Once in the bed they served as night stands with the chamber pot often stored below in an enclosed bottom.  

Yours appears to be made of mahogany veneer and secondary wood. It would sell at auction for less than 4100.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida