Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Mission style rocking chair

Mission Style Rocking Chair
Mission Style Rocking  

Mission Style Rocking Chair - 2
Mission Style Rocking  
Good Afternoon Fred,

I have had this chair for thirty-five years.  I believe it is oak, painted black.  The original seat and springs are missing and have been replaced with a piece of wood.  Could you please give me some idea as to its origin and worth.  

Gretchen - Your Mission style oak rocker was factory made, probably in the Midwest, late in the Arts & Crafts period, circa 1915-1920. In its current condition with the missing seat and serious finish issues it has little resale value, less than $50.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida