Collectibles-General (Antiques)/rocker

my neighbor gave me this rocker, i can not find any markings on it at all and know nothing about the age or who may have manufactured it

Colleen - Your chair was factory made around the turn of the 20th century. Plywood was a relatively recent innovation and the formed bent seat was the rage. The "carvings" on the front edge of the seat and the crest are machine made appliques. Without a label it is impossible to say who made it since hundreds of manufacturers made similar chairs. Phoenix Chair Co of Sheboygan, WI was one of the most prolific but a quick look through their catalog of the period did not show this exact chair.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida