Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Sagainaw Mahogany Buffet and Extension Table

Saganaw Buffet/Table
Saganaw Buffet/Table  
Saganaw Buffet/Table
Saganaw Buffet/Table  
I had listed my table to sell and started researching iit's value.  I came across this site because you had answered someone elses question about a similar piece.  You said not to get rid of it.  Can you tell me it's approximate value at this time?

ANSWER: resale value is low, 350$, but i believe that pieces like these that are from the 1940s and earlier will come into their day when they look like this with the flame grain mahogany.  later ones with plain grain will not.

QUESTION: What does "come into their day" mean, as far as value is concerned? Also, how do I know that this is from the 1940's? If I sold it on Craigslist, what should I sell it for now? I put $150 on the ad and had lots of interest. Or should I consign it at an antique store?

means that it will be recognized for a useful and well made piece of antiquity in time and the value will go up.  You children will be glad if you pass it to them.

I know that it is from the 1940s because i have seen these items before and the style is particular to the 1940s.  this particular type of furniture from the Saginaw shops changed in the 50s to a 'modern' unattractive look and the quality went down.  Some of the items were labeled Saginaw Shops, Expando-Matic.

as to selling, i do not know the stores in your area, or which would be interested or which would get the higher price nor what they charge to consign.  those are things you will have to take into consideration and I recommend you go to shops with pictures and see what you are offered.  what a dealer offers you should be able to double on your own.  however if the dealer wants to give 150 to you he will sell at 3-450.  most consigns are 60/40 with the 60 going to the shop.

craigs list doesnt seem to work well for good items and anything on craigs list sells cheaply or doesnt sell.

if you do not need the money, donate it to a church sale or to one of the military base thrift stores and take a tax write off.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971