Collectibles-General (Antiques)/what was this table used for and value

Question
table
table  
table
table  
QUESTION: I got this table at a yard sale today. Looks like one end is a seat to sit on. There is a drawer underneath that opens from each side. One end has raised wood around it and there are 3 distinct squares on one end, obviously meant to hold something but i have no idea what. Thank you!

ANSWER: It is a coffee table that was patterned after the old cobblers benches.  This was called early American style in the 1930-60s and many variations were manufactured and sold.

The wood is most likely maple but without seeing a close clear picture of the dgrain I cannot be certain.

Is there a label underneath and was there anything else you wanted to know?  Usually these sell in resale shops or antique malls around 125 depending on the condition.

QUESTION: Thank you so much! Just one more question. What was the purpose of the 3 squares in the corner on top of table? Just decoration? Seems like they were made for something specific.

Answer
being this is a loose reproduction of a cobblers bench the compartments would have held tools or/and parts.

to explain, a cobblers bench wasnt a bench as we think of a bench today for sitting an sipping tea.  a cobblers bench was a working bench.  the cobbler would have sat at the seat part and would have had implements for making or repairing shoes and boots.  these implements might have been in a drawer under the bench, in the tray compartments and perhaps a last attached to the bench as well.

google 'cobblers bench 1820' and you will see what i mean. do keep in mind that there will be tables like yours sold as old cobblers benches but they are only reproductions made in the 1950s.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein