Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Walnut Vanity

Question
Vanity
Vanity  

Vanity 2
Vanity 2  
Hello,  I have had this vanity for years.  I did refinish it probably 20 years ago. It has the original handles. I have no idea what make or year it is. I would like to sell it, since we are downsizing. Any ideas what era this is from and how much?
Thanks.

Answer
Stella - Your photos are a little "hot" so I can't see all the details but from what I can see it appears to be from the Depression era of the 1930s but the mirror will tell you the date. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

I would expect your vanity to sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor