Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Wooden Chair

Question
I am looking to find out the age and value of a wooden chair.  It has a Murphy Incorporated, Owensboro Kentucky metal plate in the back as well as a 7019 gold plate nailed in the back.

Answer
Daniela - In 1877 Canadian chair maker Michael J. Murphy moved his business into the Detroit factory building recently vacated by the Detroit Chair Factory that had been established in 1864. The company had a major expansion in 1885 and employed over 800 workers in a four story factory. It was incorporated as Murphy Chair Co in 1899.

When furniture production began to move south after the turn of the century Murphy picked Owensboro, KY as the prime place to have a new factory. In 1917 he acquired a wagon factory building in Owensboro and operated it as a branch of the Detroit company until 1921. In 1921 the Detroit company was closed and the Owensboro plant was reincorporated as the new Murphy Chair Co. By 1935 the company had built more than 10,000,000 chairs in its factories. Murphy Chair Co, always family owned and operated, closed in 1954.

Your chair is a low back Windsor chair made during the Depression era of the 1930s. A Windsor chair is a chair in which no vertical element runs continuously from top to bottom. All vertical elements terminate in the seat.

It is an institutional chair probably used as an office or waiting room chair. the "7019" is an inventory label applied by an owner, not Murphy Chair Co.

The chair has a serious finish problem and in its current condition would sell at auction for less than $25.

Thanks for writing and thanks for the photos.

Fred Taylor
“HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE”
www.furnituredetective.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor