Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique bedroom set

Question
vanity dresser w/ mirror
vanity dresser w/ mirr  

Chest of drawers
Chest of drawers  
About when was it made? Does it have a name, company or style?  How much does it sell for?

1 vanity dresser with mirror
1 chest of drawers
1 set head and foot board

Answer
Cathy - Both pieces are Colonial Revival reproductions of Federal stye furniture of the early 1800s. The drawer pulls are Hepplewhite style. George Hepplewhite was an English designer whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. He is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name.

Your pieces were made anywhere from the late 1940s to late 1950s. The mirror will have the date. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

Both pieces are made of flat cut Honduran mahogany veneer and would sell at auction in the $100 range each.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
info@furnituredetective.com
www.furnituredetective.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor