Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique desk

Question
front
front  
top
top  
QUESTION: I'm 21 and getting ready to move into my first apartment, so I regularly check local ads for cheap secondhand furniture, appliances, etc. Yesterday I came across this desk and just thought it was charming. The woman couldn't tell me much because she had also gotten it secondhand, but she said it was "over 50 years old." Obviously there's some wear; mainly just scuffs but it looks pretty good overall to me. She said her husband refinished the top, but then got bored with it and they didn't have a use for it anymore. I figured for only $45 and being solid wood and seemingly well-made, it didn't have to be in great condition. As with everything I've bought secondhand, I eventually got curious about the age, where it's from, etc. I found a similar one in a question you answered before, so maybe you can help me. Mainly I'm wondering about the age and value.

ANSWER: It is from the 1920-40 era and is made of mahogany veneer over another species of wood.
This type of shape is more desirable and they are used as desks an vanities.

depending on the condition they sell between 150 and 450 in a shop, 450 being in pristine condition.

i suggest that you use antique mahogany color Briwax and wax the desk before doing anything else.  you may like how it turns out.

QUESTION: Thanks so much! I will try the wax. One thing I forgot to ask, it looks very much like some Sligh desks I have seen, but I can't find a maker's mark on it anywhere. Do you think it is a Sligh or just a look alike?

Answer
Many manufacturers made similar items and this desk is no exception.  anytime something deviates from a square in furniture it cost more to make and to buy.  without a label there is noway to know.

sleigh was one company that marked their items but even still there is no guarantee everything was marked, you never know.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein