Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique vanity

antique vanity
antique vanity  

vanity 2
vanity 2  
I have had this vanity passed down to me and know nothing about it. Please let me know anything you can including value for insurance and possible sell price. Thank you.

Natosha - Your three mirror vanity is from the Depression era of the 1920s/1930s. The date will be on the mirrors. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

It has flat cut walnut veneer on the drawer fronts, cabinet sides and tops. The lighter colored wood is a secondary wood called gum. Originally all of the wood was the same color from the factory. The gum was stained darker to match the walnut but the piece has been refinished and the finisher either did not care to did not know how to make the colors match.

In today's market your vanity would sell at auction in the $50-$150 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida