Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bally 5 cent slot

Front view
Front view  
I have read some of your post and appreciate your information.

I have been given a Bally 5 cent slot and know nothing about it.
I cannot find any serial numbers, only a number stamped into the metal on the inside lower right corner of the door....   C-654-1C.
I saw a post from another person with this same number. I think you said that it was a model # 742 or 742-A from 1964 - 1967,  yet my machine looks quite different from his.

This is a 3 reel, with 5 pay lines. It also has what appears to be a progressive payout and also a Super Jackpot payout as well.

Can you help me identify this machine? What should I know about it? How exactly does it pay out the Super Jackpot, and the 777 jackpot since it is listed in dollars and cents??

I would like to be able to get a manual on it so I know how to use it and maintenance and/or repair it if need be.

Thank you,
Please see the photos that I have emailed to you as well.

Hi Richard,

This machine looks very similar to the Bally 922 which was first made in 1972.

Normally there would be a metal plaque below the pull handle that has the model number
listed. I know that there were 3 different models that paid a Super Jackpot.

When you hit a pay line, the machine will pay out a set amount, usually 1,000 coins ($50 for a $0.05 machine)
and then the attendant would come buy and pay you the balance. On this machine you have a Jackpot and
a Super Jackpot. To hit either you need to line the 7's up on the 5th pay line. If you look at the photo the
5th pay line currently shows Orange-Bar-Bell so lower left to upper right on the reels and you have to be
playing 5 nickels.

You will notice that there are 2 red arrows to the left of the Jackpot amounts. The arrows will alternate
so if you line up all 3 7's correctly, the amount you won is indicated by what ever red arrow is lit up.

The things you need to know are all in the manual. The manual that is best for this machine is the one
that is titled  Bally Electro/Mechanical Manual Number 2400, that manual will cover most of the Bally Electromechanical
machines and can be found at

This will explain all of the adjustments and lubrication points necessary to keep your machine running properly.

Great looking machine!

Thank You
Rodger Knutson

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson

I am an expert on old coin operated machines, slot machines, trade stimulator's, jukeboxes, old arcade machines, etc. I have been identifying these for people who respond to my web site listed below, for a few years now. In almost all cases I am able to tell them about their old coin operated machines, the year, the value, and other general information about their machines. I do not know much about soda vending machines, coin banks, or scales, but I will try to help you with these if I can. Please email photo's to: My web site is at:

I bought my first slot machine, a .50 Cent Mills Black Cherry in 1969 and have been hooked from that time, I still have that Slot machine! Before that I found a open barrel full of old scraped jukebox wall boxes behind a restaurant, I wanted them all but never took a one of them. Anything that took a coin drove me nuts!

C.O.C.A. and other slot and coin operated machine groups, associations, groups, and clubs.

Many, the Coinslot magazine, always juken, Coin Slot Journal, Slot Box Collector, and others that I don’t remember at this time.

Graduated from Ballard High School in 1969, went to Edison Technical Collage for a couple of years taking welding and metal fabrication, tig, mig, heliarc, also arc and gas welding and fabrication. Then Apprenticed under a slot machine technician who worked in the slot machine industry Reno Nevada, and set up bar poker progressive machines in the casino's, and repaired machine and did the repairs on slot machine circuit boards there. He also was involved in the 2 hand dealer's market and bought and sold machines at the casinos auctions for the secondary market, which includes selling used machine overseas. I learned a ton from this man; he always had the correct answers and took the time to teach me the business. My interest and knowledge in other and older coin operated machine is for the most part, self-taught. It's been my passion from back in 1968 and before, my thirst for knowledge about these machines has kept me more interested over the years, and keeps me searching for more information even today. I have meet and talked to book authors on these machines, attended hundreds of coin operated shows and auctions, and I stay with that to this very day.

Take a look at my allexperts rating, and my guest book, links to these are at Also you can check my 100 percent rating on ebay, as I have been there with ebay from their day one, I am user coinslots at ebay. My other awards come from the very people that I deal with, I always make them happy, no matter what it takes, but they always are happy anyway as the countless thank you letters testify to me, so I know I am doing right, and the best I can. I have found so many hard to find parts for people, I hunt them down and don't stop until I find what is needed to get that customers machine running again and back to life, that is my main goal.

Client privacy prevents this answer, as some are VIP and famous and I will not betray the trust.