Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cavalier Trunk

Question
I have a Cavalier Cedar Trunk that belonged to my grandmother. It has the metal Cavalier tag in the lid. When you open it there is what I would call three compartments that are attached at the lid that offers extra storage area. The trunk is in excellent shape as well. It is not plain front but has some trim work on the front and sides. I have the key and the lock works. There are numbers on the bottom the top numbers are 34180 then under those is 862-9515. The 9515 is written in chalk on the front of the compartments that lift up. The paper from where it was purchased is still attached to the bottom of the trunk as well. Is there anyway you could give me an idea of the value of the piece? Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hello Dawn,

Sorry for the delay. Many companies made similar cedar chests and in a variety of styles and models. Very little information is available now on most of the makers and their models and I cannot tell you anything about the numbers on that chest. These cedar chests were very popular in the early to mid 1900's and most of them were made from the 1920's to the 1940's. It sounds like yours may be a little higher grade model than some since it has the three compartments inside. Most of these were covered with wood veneer on the exterior and various woods were used including walnut, mahogany, oak, etc. The value of these isn't usually too high today because they haven't been in high demand now. Usually in very nice condition these chests will sell in the range of about $250 to $400, maybe higher in some areas or if the chest is very attractive and in excellent condition. I wish I could help you with more information but I really specialize in the older traveling trunks. Generally, these items used in the home are called chests and the items used for traveling were called trunks. I hope that helps some.

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller