Collectibles-General (Antiques)/China Hutch

China Hutch
China Hutch  

Metal Label
Metal Label  
Hi Robert
 Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my questions. I was unaware that the label I previously sent you could be different from a similar piece of furniture that is also John A Colby - so I apologize for the confusion. Here is the cabinet again with the label I found on back. So Sorry!!

It is a John A Colby & Sons piece. It has a key to open the main cabinets and there are 2 slide out drawers on each side. The piece is actually two separate pieces. We think it is pecan wood. Any info you could give including value would be great.
 Thanks so much

All good.  slight differences in labels can tell us a time span of the item that a particular label is on.

For this, from my records, <Colby’s was the last name used by a company founded in 1869 by John Colby and Jacob Wirts. The name was changed to John A. Colby & Co. in 1879 and The sons joined in 1881 and the name changed to John A. Colby & Sons. The factory burnt down in 1908 and by 1913 all the Colbys were deceased.  The holdings were sold and the factory closed in the 1920s but the store continued under the same name until the 40s when it was changed to <Colbys>.

all that said; your piece was sold by john a colbys and sons prior to the name change to colbys in the 40s but after 1915 and the style of the piece puts it into the 1930s early 40s.

we will never know who built this.

retail in store price depending on type of store it would sell around 550-600.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971