Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Dresser Wall trunk

Full chest
Full chest  

Thank you so much for your quick response to my earlier inquiry.  Based on your answer, this would be classified as a dresser wall trunk.  Here are two pictures of the full trunk.  Again, the process of researching and identifying the trunk has been exciting and I appreciate any other information you can provide.  Please let me know I f any additional pictures, or angles, would be helpful.

Bains Bureau Trunk
Bains Bureau Trunk  

Toledo Dresser Trunk ad
Toledo Dresser Trunk a  
Yes, you definitely have a dresser style wall trunk, also called a "bureau" trunk by some companies. As you know there appears to be one or two of the drawers missing from the trunk. These dresser or bureau trunks were made by quite a few companies, mostly from about 1900 to the early 1920's.  Unfortunately since there is no label on your trunk it is not going to be possible to identify the maker for certain. That is because all of the hardware on your trunk is "generic" and was used by many trunk companies.  Also the design of it was the same as made by probably over a dozen different trunk companies. Each company made a few different models and in various sizes. All I can do is to rule out a couple of the larger dresser trunk companies, including F.A. Stallman of Columbus, OH and the Goldsmith & Son Trunk Company of Newark, NJ because their trunks looked a little different in design.  But your trunk looks about the same as those made by the Toledo Trunk Company, Parkhurst Trunk Co. of Bangor, ME, and the George Bains Trunk Co. of Philadelphia. But I'm sure there were other companies that made dresser trunks in this style.  Some of these trunks had mirrors in the top and some had a "pocketbook" which was a folder to hold papers.  But some models didn't have either of those and each company probably made them each way. Most people don't realize that there were actually hundreds of trunk companies in the U.S. in the 1890s to early 1900's and trunks were a very large business. Many trunks are found without labels, partly because many companies sold them only wholesale to large retailers and furniture and luggage stores that sold them retail. I hope you enjoy restoring and using your dresser trunk.  They are very useful and are harder to find than the standard trunk with the lift out trays.  A couple more old ads are attached for your viewing.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.