Collectibles-General (Antiques)/help identifying dining set year/material

dining chair
dining chair  

china hutch cabinet
china hutch cabinet  
I bought an old dining set of 6 chairs (2 captain) dining table, with 2 leaves and a hutch- china cabinet (lights up with 2 glass doors on top and 2 wood doors below). I know it is Bassett Furniture because of tags but i dont know the year it was made. Model # on table is "B-432-41-448-3LVS" under that it says "J.8-1/2-Prado Pec." The chairs have model # "432-41-487 B 23 1/2". Any idea how old it is? I paid $100 for everything and even got pads for table.
My biggest concern is the chairs have this velour-like material on the backs and seats and the seats are out-lined with tiny leather cords. They seem to get damaged with water but i need to clean them. (kids have spilled stuff) Any idea what the material is? I need to know so i can get them professionally cleaned. Thank you so much!

Chantal - Your Bassett set is from the 1970s in Italian Renaissance style. There is a very good chance that parts of the set such as the crests of the chairs and the designs on the doors are made of plastic. Basset did  a lot of that in that period. Just tap your fingernail on a part you know is wood like  a chair leg (hopefully). I have seen sets like this with plastic legs. Then tap the crest of a chair. If it is plastic and the leg was wood you will be able to tell the difference.   

Parts of the numbers can be interpreted. The part that say "...-3LVs" means three leaves to the table and the part that says "...-Prado Pec" is the color, pecan. The best thing to do with that upholstery is get rid of it. Cleaning it will cost more than your paid for the set with no guaranties on the color fastness of the over 40 year old velour fabric. You paid little enough for the set. Upgrade it with better fabric.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida