Collectibles-General (Antiques)/J.F. Dietz Wooden Desk

I am trying to determine the value of a large J.F. Dietz wooden desk. It still functions beautifully (drawers don't stick, no pieces missing), but is not in ideal condition, as the wood finish has stains and scratches from years of regular use.

Anne - Your desk appears to be from the Depression era of the 1930s to the immediate post War period of the late 1940s. It is a commercial model and way well have been used as a military desk. The top appears to be made of walnut veneer. The rest of the desk is made of a secondary wood called gum.

It is not old enough to be considered an antique and considering its finish condition it would have little resale value in its current state, probably in the $100 range or less.

Thanks for the extra photos.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida