Collectibles-General (Antiques)/John A. Colby & Sons chair

Question
chair
chair  

chair tag
chair tag  
Hi Robert,

I found this gorgeous chair, I love the detail!, I was getting ready to paint it and my Dad asked if there was a name on it, I flipped it over, and found a tag reading "John A. Colby & Sons 37996", needless to say, I did not paint it,... before getting information on it.

I would love to know the history on it (age), current value (in this condition), and the value if I were to have the cane (?) replaced.  I appreciate your time, and thank you.

Sincerely,
April

Answer
it is a beautiful chair.  i fear the cost of putting the cane back in the seat and wings will be very high.  the seat is not prewoven sheet cane but is hand woven through the holes.  i counted about 200 holes.  where i live that would cost about $400.  i cannot tell from the photo if the back and wings are woven or sheet cane.  this being the case i often recommend to my customers to have the seat upholstered rather than caned due to the cost.  however, if you can cane then that would be the thing to do.

chair was made around 1915=1925.  as shown it would sell retail at 100-150 in a shop at the most since it needs to be completed.  once done completely and ready to use  tops would be around 650-850.  depends on how well it was done.  to be sure painting is ok just make sure to put a clear coat on first so when you decide to unpaint it you can.

colby was a manufacturer and retailer until in teh 1920s when they became only a retailer.  it is a very high styled and well made piece.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein