Collectibles-General (Antiques)/John A. Colby & Sons chair

chair tag
chair tag  
Hi Robert,

I found this gorgeous chair, I love the detail!, I was getting ready to paint it and my Dad asked if there was a name on it, I flipped it over, and found a tag reading "John A. Colby & Sons 37996", needless to say, I did not paint it,... before getting information on it.

I would love to know the history on it (age), current value (in this condition), and the value if I were to have the cane (?) replaced.  I appreciate your time, and thank you.

it is a beautiful chair.  i fear the cost of putting the cane back in the seat and wings will be very high.  the seat is not prewoven sheet cane but is hand woven through the holes.  i counted about 200 holes.  where i live that would cost about $400.  i cannot tell from the photo if the back and wings are woven or sheet cane.  this being the case i often recommend to my customers to have the seat upholstered rather than caned due to the cost.  however, if you can cane then that would be the thing to do.

chair was made around 1915=1925.  as shown it would sell retail at 100-150 in a shop at the most since it needs to be completed.  once done completely and ready to use  tops would be around 650-850.  depends on how well it was done.  to be sure painting is ok just make sure to put a clear coat on first so when you decide to unpaint it you can.

colby was a manufacturer and retailer until in teh 1920s when they became only a retailer.  it is a very high styled and well made piece.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971