Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old Trunk I inherited

Question
Trunk
Trunk  

Open trunk
Open trunk  
I am trying to find info on trunk I inherited. It has been told that this trunk came from England when the family immigrated from England. Any info you may provide is greatly appreciated, I'm especially interested in value for insurance purposes

Answer
Cross Slat Trunk 1911
Cross Slat Trunk 1911  

1897 Barrel Top Trunk
1897 Barrel Top Trunk  
Robert,

This is an American made trunk, called a Barrel Top Cross Slat trunk. These were made from the late 1880s to about 1915 by many American trunk companies.  All of the hardware and parts are of American design and patented in the U.S.  But several large trunk makers on the east coast, primarily Newark, NJ, exported many trunks to Europe during those years. I have found earlier trunk maker documents and articles on the companies which verifies this. So many American made trunks were shipped overseas and then brought back by immigrants. These trunks were made in a variety of sizes and models but they were very similar and used the same hardware. They were wood and covered with either metal, leather, or canvas. There were many styles of fancy embossed metal used on some of them. The locks were made by several American lock makers including Yale & Towne, Eagle Lock Company, and Corbin.  I am attaching a couple old catalog pages which show similar trunks so you can see the details they provided.  The trunk is an antique but it is not a rare or unusual style and the value of these in good unrestored condition is in the range of $150 to $300, maybe more if in very good condition. I do see them advertised at higher prices sometimes, but that is the average current selling price range.  I hope that helps.

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller