Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Question about antique camera

Front of camera
Front of camera  

Back of camera
Back of camera  
I recently picked up an Arnold Linco Flex at my local antique store. I haven't been able to find too much information on it other then it was made my a camera maker named Karl Arnold in 1932 and it takes 127 film. As I mentioned not a lot mentioned of this camera and not too many photos of it either. Is this a rare camera at all? There is a little bit of wear and some rust around the top of the camera as you can see but from what I've been able to see everything seems to work ok on it.

Anyway my main questions are if it is a rare camera and in the conditions that it's in from the photos what would be the value on it. (Sorry as of right now I could only use my iPhone to take the photos.

Thank you

Hello Derek,

What you have is actually a Karma-Flex 4x4 Model II (also marketed as simply the Karma-Flex 2), a funny little twin-lens-reflex camera made by Karl Arnold of Germany around 1932-1933, for 4 x 4 cm exposures on #127 roll film. It is indeed a fairly scarce camera, and frankly quite rare outside of Europe. Although essentially a cheaply made metal snapshot camera, truly excellent examples can sell in the $800-$1000 range. The problem is that they're virtually NEVER found in excellent condition because of their strange angular shape and propensity for getting very worn from rough handling. Your example is in typical used condition, and would normally sell in the $500-$600 range. Ah, but here's the good news. Rather than having the typical "Karma-Flex" imprint on the viewing hood, your example has the much more scare "Linco-Flex" imprint that was only seen on a limited number of cameras shipped out of Europe. In my 40+ years of collecting and researching antique cameras, while I've heard plenty of references to the Linco-Flex version, I've never seen one before! So, despite the generally worn condition, your camera gets an upgrade from the accepted Karma-Flex pricing range, and I'd hazard to suggest that $1000 is a more likely fair market value. No guarantees, since this is a VERY volatile field, but it's indeed a rare little beastie. Well done!

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

David Silver

I'm an expert on all types of antique and classic CAMERAS, vintage PHOTOGRAPHS, and the HISTORY OF PHOTOGRAPHY. Everything from ancient box cameras to modern single-lens-reflex; from simple Kodaks to sophisticated Leica and Nikon; from glass plates and roll film to movie and 35mm; from daguerreotypes and tintypes to the black & white images by the 20th century masters. I can identify and appraise, explain techniques and processes, offer insights on restoration and preservation, and provide guidelines for buying and selling.

I've been a professional photographer and a student of the history of photography for over 30 years. During that time my collection of vintage cameras and photographic paraphernalia has grown beyond 2000 significant pieces. I've published nearly 70 articles in the field, including 16 in the popular "Buying Classic Cameras" series for PHOTO SHOPPER MAGAZINE from 1995 to 1997, I'm currently a contributing editor for CAMERA SHOPPER MAGAZINE and McKEOWN'S PRICE GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC CAMERAS, and I've written numerous entries for WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA. Portions of my collection have been displayed in museums and special exhibits in the past two decades, and many of the items were photographed as illustrations for books. In 1985 I founded the International Photographic Historical Organization (InPHO), which eventually evolved into its intended purpose as the best first resource for information on the history of photography. I'm also a founding member of several e-mail forums dedicated to specialized areas of photography, and I'm the moderator of the Internet Directory of Camera Collectors (IDCC), which remains the largest and most successful such group in the world. For more information about the International Photographic Historical Organization and its many services, please visit its web pages at:

BA and MA in anthropology