Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Thomasville chair company sideboard

Question
I acquired this beautiful piece, but I have little information about it. The inside of the top drawer showcases the Thomasville chair company pendant (it says Thomasville chair company since 1904 character furniture). The only other markings on located on the back and it reads  D710-12.  This piece was improperly painted by the previous owners, but is in completely sound condition minus whatever piece should have been attached on the top  of it. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Constance - Your sideboard is a Colonial Revival reproduction of a Federal period piece of the early 1800s. It has reeded Sheraton style legs and Hepplewhite drawer pulls. Thomas Sheraton and George Hepplewhite were both English designers whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. Hepplewhite is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name and Sheraton was a specialist in table design.

Your cabinet was made during the Depression era of the 1930s to as late as late as the 1905s. It is hard to tell under all that paint. The wood under the paint is almost certainly mahogany veneer and secondary wood solids.

The company changed its name to Thomasville Furniture Industries in 1961. Here is some history.
http://www.answers.com/topic/thomasville-furniture-industries-inc

In restored condition your cabinet would sell at auction in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing and thanks for the extra photos.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor