Collectibles-General (Antiques)/1927 JHJ Dining Set

Table & Chairs
Table & Chairs  

Dr. Mr. Klein-
My Brother and I are trying to determine market value for what we believe was a commissioned dining room set from Johnson/Handley/Johnson (inside drawer on buffet has the metal seal and 1927).  Our Grandparents purchased the set for their home in Saginaw, MI, and it has been handed down through the years.

The set consists of a dining table with multiple leaves, six side chairs, two end chairs (all chairs with velvet upholstery), a long rectangular buffet and a half-circle dessert buffet.  The table, buffets and end chairs appear to have hand carved designs.  The wood and finish are dark, perhaps mahogany?

We are interested in selling the set, as part of a retirement downsizing process.  By the way, we were referred to you by the Grand Rapids Historical Commission.  Your consideration is appreciated.

for me to best help with this i need you to retake photos, good clear ones including one close up of the wood gran in the table top.  a picture of one chair and each of the other pieces.

send to my email as attachments to only one email and please include the original post.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971