Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Berkey Gay 2-piece bedroom set & Empire Case Goods Shaving Mirror

shaving mirror
shaving mirror  
I have these pieces, passed down from family members. Do you think it's worth trying to consign/auction them, or should I simply give them away? They're in good to excellent condition.

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise.

Margot - Both pieces are very good quality pieces that have already made it 70 years or more. Good stuff but not antique and certainly not rare. By all means consign them but keep the day job. The chest will sell in the $150 range and the mirror in the $50 range.

Good luck and thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida