Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Colonial Revival "Duncan Phyfe" half table

This table was a hand-me-down from my husband's late grandmother, who worked as domestic help for a well-to-do family.  She often received antique furniture and art as a type of payment.  A friend suggested that it may be a "Duncan Phyfe" table because of the brass on the feet, but I can find no markings of any kind to identify the table.  I've seen your other answer clarifying that Duncan Phyfe is really a misapplied descriptor.  We have considered selling the table, but are unsure what to ask or expect as we are unsure of its worth.  Any suggestions or further information on this table you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Tina - Nice looking table. It is called a "demi lune" (half moon) table. It was probably used as a console table in a foyer under a mirror or portrait.

It is made of mahogany. The top appears to be ribbon striped mahogany. It is a well made table with solid brass toe caps. It is a Colonial Revival reproduction of a Federal era table of the early 1800s. It was made during the Depression era of the 1920s or 1930s and is factory made so it is not an antique.

The table would sell at auction in the $100-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida