Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Crocker Chair Company Solid Walnut gate leg table.

Question
gate leg table
gate leg table  

sticker of maker
sticker of maker  
I have a table I just recently got and am trying to get info about. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Age value ect...

Answer
Dixie - Your table with the narrow top when closed is called a "Sutherland" table or a "tuckaway table because it can be store so easily. It has a flat middle section so narrow as to be unusable as a table until one or both of its deep drop leaves are opened. The form was introduced in 1850, almost exactly 100 years after the Pembroke table form came to light and interestingly enough this form of table was named after Harriet Sutherland who just coincidentally happened to be the Duchess of Pembroke at the time.

Your table appears to be from the 1920s or 1930s, made just before the company closed. The history of the company can be found here.
http://www.meadpl.org/local/history/furniture

The table would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor