Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Crocker Chair Company Solid Walnut gate leg table.

gate leg table
gate leg table  

sticker of maker
sticker of maker  
I have a table I just recently got and am trying to get info about. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Age value ect...

Dixie - Your table with the narrow top when closed is called a "Sutherland" table or a "tuckaway table because it can be store so easily. It has a flat middle section so narrow as to be unusable as a table until one or both of its deep drop leaves are opened. The form was introduced in 1850, almost exactly 100 years after the Pembroke table form came to light and interestingly enough this form of table was named after Harriet Sutherland who just coincidentally happened to be the Duchess of Pembroke at the time.

Your table appears to be from the 1920s or 1930s, made just before the company closed. The history of the company can be found here.

The table would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida