Collectibles-General (Antiques)/dining table

Question
dining table
dining table  

dining table 2
dining table 2  
Hello Fred,
This was my grandmother's dining table. She told me it is an 18th or early 19th century table made in the American South.

What are your thoughts?  The center leaf for the table is missing, and it appears that one of the table tops has been replaced as well (mismatched color on the underside). The supports certainly appear to be original though there have been repairs and reinforcement. Do the legs appear to be original or repair/replacements?

What can you tell me about the table with this information?  I'm trying to decide whether the table is worth insuring and what for what value if so.  Thank you for your help.
Will

Answer
Will - The table probably is from the late 18th/early 19th century, at least parts of it are. I have a very similar table from that period. However, it is probably English Regency rather than the American South. The fold over top was more of an English choice than a Southern one or even an American one. American choice in that period ran to drop leaf D end expansion tables. Like this.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/31864986_federal-carved-mahogany-two-part-di

Since the leaf is not original and one top may not be, not to mention the repairs, the table has little antique value and insurance value probably would not meet the minimum value requirement of the insurance company. The table would sell at auction in the mid hundreds, not the thousands.

However, the value of the table as a family heirloom and treasure is immeasurable.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor