Collectibles-General (Antiques)/E. H. Stafford school desks

I recently received two of these desks with the request to "bring them back to usability" for two small children to use in a playroom.  The wood on both are in average condition for their age and I do not wish to damage it by refinishing.  My question concerns the metal legs and frame.  The feet of both desks have suffered from corrosion and are rusted.  How do I go about resealing the metal feet once I have removed the rust?  Thank you so very much.

Hi Dennis
Nice to hear from you.
Spray paint with metal primer, then a metal spray paint.
If you are not planning to do the entire metal (just under the feet), you could seal them with a clear coat spray, or some brush on is fine.
Then I would put those felt protectors on the bottoms of the feet.
Once this is done, the rust will not continue if the metal remains dry.
Good Luck & get back if needed

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.