Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Hall tree

Front of hall tree
Front of hall tree  

We have an American Oak hall tree, likely purchased in Virginia, that we think is late 19th C/early 20th C.  What puzzles us is that the pediment has an asymmetric swirl design.  I've been unable to find a single antique hall tree that has this kind of design, or any asymmetry at all.  Is our hall tree unique or was there a style or time when hall trees would have an asymmetric element like this?  Any help you could offer is appreciated.  Sincerely, Paul

please use the followup function and retake the photos in focus and without the light from the window.  i can not see the photos well.  thanks

the asymmetry is not uncommon around 1880-1900.  many manufacturers were doing this in hall seats, chairs, etageres and other was part of the aesthetic and art nouveau movements.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971