Collectibles-General (Antiques)/JHJ Coffee Table

JHJ Coffee Table
JHJ Coffee Table  

JHJ Metal Stamp
JHJ Metal Stamp  
Mr. Klein-

My girlfriend and I recently met up with an elder gentleman who had a storage garage full of furniture that belonged to his mother in law that had recently passed away.  We purchased a handful of items from him but one of the pieces stood out among the rest.  We purchased an old coffee table that was like nothing I've ever seen before.  It appeared to be hand carved and made of a very high quality wood.  Upon investigating the piece a bit further, I discovered that it was a JHJ piece.  There is a metal stamped marking (pictured in photo) on the underside that appears to be the one they started using in 1927.  It also has the number 3068 stamped on the underside as well.  Other than that I am very unfamiliar with this piece and was wondering if you could fill me in with a bit of its history. If you could include what material it is, when it was built, and what the current value of the item is we would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You for your help

Ryan Schwegler

these painted pieces from JHJ in the Venetion and Italian design were done in the 1920-1935 time slot so we can be sure this is from 1927-1935.  I cannot tell you the wood species since it is painted from the factory but it is a manufactured piece.

depending on the actual condition retail would range from 200-350.

hope this is what you needed.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971