Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Mills Bursting Cherry escalator

Question
Rodger, hope your feeling better. My whole family was sick over the holidays and just getting back to normal. I was hoping you could answer some additional questions regarding my late 30s Mills bursting cherry quarter machine. I experienced a coin jam where it appeared that 2 coins partially overlapped each other just as they were falling down the delivery chute ahead of the coin tube. It was time to advance my understanding of the system. I pulled the escalator, disassembled it cleaned/brushed/degreased and dried it. My questions are about some 'modifications' that were apparent on the escalator. It appeared to me that the final tooth on the lower coin holding bar was bent downward and somewhat rounded off. It also appeared that a horizontal cut was purposely made on the escalator faceplate near the coin drop off end just below the normal horizontal escalator opening. This cut piece was then flared out a little. I could see no reason for this and was wondering if you have seen any escalator modifications like this? I also noticed that the internal surface of the faceplate was quite worn/scored from what appeared to be from movement of the coin edges of the quarters. That being said the escalator was pretty dirty and cleaning certainly made it operate more smoothly. No coin jam after about a 100 coins or so. Are the parts available for these escalators and can you recommend a parts house if that becomes necessary? Thanks, Robert

Answer
Mills coin escalator
Mills coin escalator  
Hi Robert,
I am feeling great, thank you. Sounds like you coin escalator has been modified at some point in the past. Most likely because it has a lot of ware and maybe was doing just as you describe, called shingling, where one coin slips past the teeth of the advance bar and ends up on another, and once that happens they all do the same thing until it jams all up. Some of this is caused by the coin groves you see inside the front of it. You can pull it apart and try to have these coin groves milled out of it and that might help, or just replace it with a good original or reproduction coin escalator and you can get one from antique slot parts company, they are still in business but maybe not for much longer and you can reach them in the morning, at 1-920-622-5959, if you call too late you will get just an answering machine, and don't expect a return call from you message, so just try earlier. This coin Escalator might just be the most important part in you slot machine as when it acts up, everything goes wrong including mechanism jams. I'll include a nice break down of the Mills coin escalator for you here and hopefully that will help you some.    
Thanks
Rodger Knutson
http://www.coinslots.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson