Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Piedmont cedar chest--huge

Piedmont Cedar Chest
Piedmont Cedar Chest  

Piedmont cedar chest
Piedmont cedar chest  
Hi.  First, this is fun.  I have gotten myself into cedar chests the last few years.  I found this chest for $50.  I have taken off a section of a back bottom molding piece.  The surrounding molding pieces were gnawed at by an animal??!!  The rest is in great shape.  I want to keep it 100% cedar in replacing pieces, including the castor foundations.  1) I am missing the key--how do I get one?  2)What do you suggest for finishing the exterior--simplest steps please (shellac, etc)?  3) The grease pencil number on the bottom appears to be "6506" or '6505".  What age would you say it is?  40 Any guess at value range?  I have a source for reserving chests when they come in.  Happy New Year!  Regards, dl

remove the lock and take to locksmith
take the top off
do any and all repairs and wood replacements

try stripping and cleaning with lacquer thinner on all surfaces, all

if it does not remove old coating use a non paste stripper

wash with lacquer thinner

sand with 180 grit paper

stain if you are going to, if not skip step

buy 'seal coat' shellac and golden tacklon one inch brush

apply shellac in thin coats, do not try to smooth and brush like paint or you will hate it.
brush on several coats till a sheen develops.

wait a few days and sand with 320 no fil paper

recoat, re sand, then if it looks good use #0000 steel wool and wax.

put back together and go get the new key from locksmith.

IMPORTANT<------------->if the lock is the type that automatically locks when the lid is closed  DO NOT, REPEAT--DO NOT put the lock back on.  child or animal can get trapped and DIE.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971