Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Vintage Cabinet

Vintage Cabinet A
Vintage Cabinet A  

Vintage Cabinet B
Vintage Cabinet B  
Fred I am restoring and refinishing a large two level vintage cabinet that has multiple layers of paint on it. There are a some very strange things about this cabinet.

Firstly the top of the bottom section has been cut back on both sides. So it must have extended out on both sides similar to a Hoosier style cabinet.

Secondly the bottom doors have words imprinted on the backs of them that indicate the US Post Office.

Lastly there are at least 3 different wood types. The main wood is oak under all that paint. The bottom doors look like maple or birch. And the divider board between the two bottom doors is southern pine.

Any feedback that you could provide would be appreciated. I can't tell if this is a Hoosier cabinet or a china cabinet or what. Thank you.

Gary - The imprint on the back of the door refers to the U.S. Patent Office, not the U.S. Post Office. It means some portion of the cabinet was patented.

Overall the cabinet does appear to be part of a Hoosier style cabinet that has been rebuilt. As such it has no remaining antique or collectible value and is simply a "project" cabinet.

Good luck on the restoration.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida