Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Caned Chairs

caned chairs
caned chairs  
I inherited these chairs from my grandmother.  On the bottom it says H.Z.M.& Co.  They are in need of repair.  The caning on one chair is undone and the arm on the other chair is pulled out.  How would you suggest fixing these chairs without devaluing them?  Also, would you know their approximate value?  Thank you.

made in teh 1910-20 period.  colonial revival style.

might be walnut but if not are stained to resemble walnut.

th arm
if the screw is pulled out then pack wooden toothpicks in teh screw hole in the back of the arm and rescrew it in place, it the arm is broken at the bck then i woul have to see closer and it would be a repair for a furnitrue restorer.

seat would have to be re-caned then stained to match the rest of the cane.
I recommend putting a cushion over the cane to protect and relieve strain on the cane from sitting.

also , buy Briwax in a dark brown and wax the chair and cane.

retail in a shop these would sell around 300-400 each.

hope this hleps  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971