Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Caned Chairs

Question
chair
chair  

caned chairs
caned chairs  
I inherited these chairs from my grandmother.  On the bottom it says H.Z.M.& Co.  They are in need of repair.  The caning on one chair is undone and the arm on the other chair is pulled out.  How would you suggest fixing these chairs without devaluing them?  Also, would you know their approximate value?  Thank you.

Answer
made in teh 1910-20 period.  colonial revival style.

might be walnut but if not are stained to resemble walnut.

th arm
if the screw is pulled out then pack wooden toothpicks in teh screw hole in the back of the arm and rescrew it in place, it the arm is broken at the bck then i woul have to see closer and it would be a repair for a furnitrue restorer.

seat would have to be re-caned then stained to match the rest of the cane.
I recommend putting a cushion over the cane to protect and relieve strain on the cane from sitting.

also , buy Briwax in a dark brown and wax the chair and cane.

retail in a shop these would sell around 300-400 each.

thanks
hope this hleps  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein