Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Solid Mahogany Bachelor's Chest

Question
Chest Front
Chest Front  
Chest Drawer Side
Chest Drawer Side  
QUESTION: I own a Solid Mahogany Bachelor's Chest that has the Mahogany Association label inside the top drawer.  The mfr. number is 433.  The piece is in very good condition.

I would like to know the following if you are able to find this out, and/or point me in a direction to get more information.
1) The manufacturer's name (I know the Mahogany Association records are gone but I have seen some information around).
2) The year the unit was manufactured or an approximate age.
3) Current value/price.

I have more images that I can send if you need them.  Just let me know how you'd like them sent.

Mahogany Association list of 23
Mahogany Association l  
ANSWER: My list of Mahogany Association numbers does not include 433.  I sure wish you had a label on that piece so I could add it to my list.  I have about 23 on the list and no one I know any that I do not have.  I have been compiling the list for a pretty good while and constantly search for more information.

it is a chippendale style made between 1921-1969 as this is the period when the mahogany association was in operation.  but i suspect it is from the 40s.  to be sure i would need to see how the drawer was constructed underneath the bottom.  also the inter of the drawer cavity.  

the block front design with the carved fans up top are from the Goddard Townsend school.  

If you were to remove the hardware and wax carefully the entire piece it would make a huge difference in teh appearance.  It would price at 750-800 once that is done.  in a higher end store it would sell higher.

I am going to post my list of Association numbers.  As far as I know it is the most complete one out there.  If not I hope I get some input from everywhere.

thanks
hope this helps.

Chest Drawer Bottom
Chest Drawer Bottom  

Chest Inside Cavity
Chest Inside Cavity  
QUESTION: Thanks Robert for the quick and detailed response.  I wanted to follow up with a couple of additional questions plus provide the images that you need in order to determine more precisely the year of manufacture.

1) I was hoping that you had information on the manufacturer based on the Mahogany Association number 433.  I did some searching on the internet and found one reference to Western Forest Industries out of Portland, OR.  Do you think that's a possibility?
2) I have attached the 2 images that may assist with determining a manufacture date.
3) You mentioned waxing the unit to make it look nicer.  What wax is recommended for this type of furniture?  Any special instructions so as to not ruin the finish?
4) You mentioned selling the unit at a "higher end store".  What are some stores, businesses, etc. that would be interested in purchasing a unit like this?

Thank you for your time and assistance with this.
Jim

Answer

You have to be careful, unless you can see hte Association number and the manufacturers label you cannot trust it.  All records were destroyed or lost of the MA.

1940s

You will not ruin or hurt the existing finish with briwax in the antique mahogany color.  follow the directions.

antique shops that handle that era, antique malls, there are some stores that handle only high style or unusual fancy pieces from the 1920-40s but you will have to find them in your area.  just go around and do some looking in shops and antique malls.

thanks

hope this helps

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein