Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Arab chest

Full picture
Full picture  

Missing panel
Missing panel  
I have what is thought to be a 18th century Arab wedding chest. It is of considerable size. 53 inches long by 23 1/2 wide by 23 inches tall. It isn't restored but even in its age and wear it is interesting piece of history to behold. I have included a picture also of one panel of wood missing on the side. So what would you do with this. What type of value would you place on it in the condition it is in. If I don't sale it or anything, I will always know that I have a world traveler in my house. I live in Mississippi. It was bought from outside of Jackson. They purchased it from an estate sale in Natchez. The story before that is anybodys guess. What are your thoughts or suggestions?  How rare is it to own a chest like this and of its magnitude in the United States. What exactly do I have here. Any guidance would be appreciated.

That is a very unique and unusual chest and I'm sure it is quite old. Over the last 40 years that I've been dealing with old chests and trunks I have seem a number of similar chests but they've all been a little different in some ways. Most of the ones I've seen have been from India or Pakistan or other countries, so I do not know exactly where this is from and it could be from a number of different countries. The age is also very hard to determine especially from pictures because these chests have been made for a couple hundred years. I'm sorry but this one is really hard for me to give a value on and I would recommend that you find an antique dealer or appraiser in your area that could actually look at this to help determine where it may be from and what the value could be based on the condition. I deal primarily with American travel trunks and I do see similar chests now and then but I don't want to give you some bad information about the value since it's a very unusual piece.  
Best regards,

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.