Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Armoire

Question
Chifferobe
Chifferobe  
We were given an old armoire/chifferobe by a friend for my daughter's bedroom we are redoing. I have looked and looked for photos of one similar but can't find anything like it. Do you have any idea of where it is from, year made, any info?

Answer
Meghan - Your cabinet is a chifferobe. A cabinet that has a door on one side (or in your case both sides) and stacked drawers is called a “chifferobe.” It is a combination of a “chiffonier” which is a tall chest of drawers and a wardrobe or armoire. The name is a combination of the two words.

Your chifferobe is from the 1920s, made almost entirely of secondary wood. The double door style is mainly seen in English cabinetry but yours is an American made cabinet. Here is a similar cabinet.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4613856_double-mirrored-door-chifferobe-center-drawers

As you can see market value is minimal but it is a very useful item.
Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor