Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Armoire


We were given an old armoire/chifferobe by a friend for my daughter's bedroom we are redoing. I have looked and looked for photos of one similar but can't find anything like it. Do you have any idea of where it is from, year made, any info?

Meghan - Your cabinet is a chifferobe. A cabinet that has a door on one side (or in your case both sides) and stacked drawers is called a “chifferobe.” It is a combination of a “chiffonier” which is a tall chest of drawers and a wardrobe or armoire. The name is a combination of the two words.

Your chifferobe is from the 1920s, made almost entirely of secondary wood. The double door style is mainly seen in English cabinetry but yours is an American made cabinet. Here is a similar cabinet.

As you can see market value is minimal but it is a very useful item.
Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Fred Taylor


I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.


I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida

©2017 All rights reserved.