Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Gum ball Machine

Question
Acorn
Acorn  
I purchased a gum ball machine about 15 years ago. It is an Acorn. Do you know what year it is from and how much it is worth? The top says oak mfg co inc LA California pat 2537317 others pend. Thanks so much for your help.

Answer
Hi Sue, Oak Mfg Co began production in 1947. Early machines had an Oak Acorn embossed in the glass globe. Over the years, many models were made and there is no way to know exactly when
any of them were made. I try to get an idea of a machine's age by the type of globe it has.
The earliest machines had a small glass globe with an acorn in the glass. Later machines
had larger glass globes and the newest versions have plastic globes, My guess is that your
machine was made in the late 1950's to late 1960's, but it is just a guess. Value range of the
machine would be $50 to $80, due to the large amount of machines the company made and the
many surviving examples. I hope I have been helpful to you. Regards, Jack

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Jack Freund