Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Haskell Bros Bag

Question
Doctors bag
Doctors bag  

Latch
Latch  
I have a Haskell Bros bag that looks like a medical bag. Did they make such bags and do they have any value?

Answer
1911 bags
1911 bags  

1890 bags
1890 bags  
Bill,
Yes, most trunk companies did make a variety of bags. In fact many of the company names were XYZ Trunk & Bag Company. There were many types of bags made with a variety of materials, including carpet, oilcloth, leather, seal skin, walrus, alligator, etc. Many of them looked like what we think of as a doctor's bag, but most were not used by doctors and they had several names including Gladstone bags, English bags, Pellesiers, etc. It's great if it still has a label and the condition is good with all the hardware. Brass hardware is good and sometimes there is even a patent date on some of the latches. Sometimes the leather was made with an imitation alligator pattern or other pebble grain type finish. Yours does appear to be in very good complete condition. It is generally very good to treat the old leather with a high quality leather treatment such as Bick 4 or mink oil polish to help keep it from drying out too much.  These do have value in good condition, especially when complete with the original handle and hardware. It's hard for me to give you a good appraisal based just on the pictures, but if the lining and bottom are also in good condition the value can range from about $100 to $200 on these, or more for rare examples.  There are collectors of these old bags.  I'm attaching a couple old trunk and bag catalog pages with examples of bags.  
Marvin   ThisOldTrunk.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller