Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Heywood Bros Wakefield swivel oak ?office chair

Question
office chair
office chair  

underseat label
underseat label  
Hello and thank you for reading my inquirie.  I found this chair in an animal shelter trhift store yesterday.  Not in good condition, the veneer is peeling but I have the 2 missing pieces.  I can see it was more ornate around the edges once upon a time. this is missing, The bentwood under the arms is fine.  The back has noted separated layers in places along the top and sides. due to damp conditions, I expect.   What appealed to me was how well it sat.  It's sturdy and will be used for my home office once it's been mended.  

The label color is not discernable as I think it was stained over.  I can only make out possibly 2 of the ID numbers...XX at the end.  But the Heywood Brothers Wakefield Company Chicago part is legible .  I only paid 20$ for it and feel it will be a treasure .  Just needs lots TLC.  

Anything you can tell me about this once beautiful wooden chair , age,  if it is veneer  back,  care would be  appreciated.  Thank you.  Sharon Sleeper

Answer
you did well.

to repair the veneer,  it is quarter sawn oak with an underlayment of -probably- tulip poplar.  get some quartersawn veaneer to match.  tape a piece of clear paper on the back.  trace the missing area.  find the area on the new veneer you want to pateh in.  put the clear paper over the aarea on the new veneer.  tape one edge down and slip a piece of carbon paper under it.  retrace your line.

cut out the new veneer on the line and patch it in using hot hide glue. color to match.  put clear shellac on first then color so if the color is wrong you can wipe it off and it will not make the new parch splotchy.

its a great chair and once made right would sell at 450$

hope this is what you needed.

thanks  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein