Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Seaburg Cedar Chest

Seaburg Cedar Chest
Seaburg Cedar Chest  

Seaburg Cedar Chest
Seaburg Cedar Chest  
I recently purchased this Seaburg Cedar Chest at an estate sale for $35. I have been trying to find information about the company but have not had any success. It needs a little bit of work but it's still in good condition. I was just wondering if you could tell me approcamitly the value of the chest.

Jane - Seaburg was formed in Jamestown, NY in 1903 and operated until the late 1940s. Here's the history.  

Your chest was made in the early 1920s. The style at that time in the late 1910s and early 1920s with the rolled under feet was called “Colonial” in a mistaken attempt to relate to the Colonial Revival movement in American furniture at the time that reproduced styles from our colonial past. However, the design is not from the colonial period. It is from the end of the Empire period in a style known as Late Classicism, circa 1850.

The chest would sell at auction in the $50-$75 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida