Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Seaburg Cedar Chest

Question
Seaburg Cedar Chest
Seaburg Cedar Chest  

Seaburg Cedar Chest
Seaburg Cedar Chest  
I recently purchased this Seaburg Cedar Chest at an estate sale for $35. I have been trying to find information about the company but have not had any success. It needs a little bit of work but it's still in good condition. I was just wondering if you could tell me approcamitly the value of the chest.

Answer
Jane - Seaburg was formed in Jamestown, NY in 1903 and operated until the late 1940s. Here's the history.
https://books.google.com/books?id=HvhqAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=seaburg+manufacturing+co&source=bl&ots=4ZmT2jqCun&sig=ztIL37Q2aBZx5Q17wQwBIm7YwMw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDUQ6AEwBGoVChMI9bOgvKS6yAIVS5UeCh2FyQ4F#v=onepage&q=seaburg%20manufacturing%20co&f=false  

Your chest was made in the early 1920s. The style at that time in the late 1910s and early 1920s with the rolled under feet was called “Colonial” in a mistaken attempt to relate to the Colonial Revival movement in American furniture at the time that reproduced styles from our colonial past. However, the design is not from the colonial period. It is from the end of the Empire period in a style known as Late Classicism, circa 1850.

The chest would sell at auction in the $50-$75 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor