Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Vintage Bassett China Cabinet

Question
China Cabinet
China Cabinet  

China Cabinet 2
China Cabinet 2  
Hello, I read a post about a basset China cabinet and you stated it was from either the 1940s or the 1950s. I have the same China cabinet as far as the look but it was my great-grandmother's which would make it a production somewhere before the 1900s wanted to check with you to see what the worth of the cabinet would be, being that it is a lot older than the 1940s or 50s version. Thanks!

Ashley

Answer
Ashley - Your cabinet is a Colonial Revival reproduction of a Federal breakfront, not a china cabinet, of the early 1800s. And it was in fact made in the late 1940s to late 1950s. Basset was not around before 1902 so it could not have been made before then. Here's the company history.
http://www.bassettfurniture.com/company/index.asp

If you check the drawers you will find machine made dovetail joinery. That means all the pins and tails of the joint are the same size and run all the way from top to bottom. That is a technological advancement of the 20th century and was not available for most of the 1800s.

Here is a virtually identical cabinet that sold at auction in 2013 for $70.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/22531484_a-mahogany-federal-style-breakfront-china-cabiniet-with  

I think that is extremely low. It should have sold in the $250 range as should yours.

Here is another much nicer cabinet that for $300 but that was in 2005 and much has happened in the market since then.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1188278_mahogany-federal-style-breakfront  

I know this not what you wanted to hear but these are the facts based on over thirty years of research and experience in the trade.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor