Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Blue Vases

Two vases
Two vases  

Bottom seal
Bottom seal  
Hi Dennis,

I was wondering what information you could give me about this pair of blue vases, specifically approximate year and country of production as well as approximate current value. They are marked with a seal on the bottom that reads " Victoria ware Ironstone"

They are each 9" wide and 11'' tall

Thank you,

Hey Alan,

I'm always skeptical of pieces like this because they are so heavily reproduced.  The marks looks decent, but the fact that it is very heavily blue is my first concern.  Secondly, I would have to look very closely through a jewelers loop to see if there is any "crazing" which would be clearly evident on the outer gloss glaze and could not be faked.

"If" they are original, they would have been produced in victorian England at the turn of the 20th century and would be worth a few hundred dollars each if in perfect condition.  With that said, I would have someone look more closely at them for signs of crazing and patina on the bottom surface of the ironstone that would be indicative of an early piece.

I hope this helps.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dennis Wolbach

I endeavor to answer all questions relating to the "identification" of American Art Pottery from the period of roughly 1880 through 1920. I specialize in the area of arts & crafts period pottery but do not limit myself specifically to that time period.

I have 20+ years experience buying, selling and identifying American Art Pottery both on the web, to private clientele and in a brick and mortar shop in Massachusetts.

Masters degree in Education.